Friday, July 27, 2018

Surprise! It's the Last Day of School


On May 9th, the city had a rare flooding.  It rained and hailed very hard for about an hour, and with nowhere for water to go (mainly because drains are covered in trash), it started coming into houses and rising under cars.

I was in language class in our neighborhood, and this was my view of things.






 My teacher got a call from a friend whose car had stalled and she needed help, and I’m sure she wasn’t the only one who didn’t know how to drive (or not to drive) in high water.

After one hour, the water was pretty much gone in most areas of the city, and Doug and I were able to go out for date night.

 


 
































Keira’s school was flooded on the first floor, and they had to take all the carpet out. 

 

When I went to pick up Keira from school two weeks after the flood on May 20th, people were stacking chairs outside and hanging more carpets over the balcony.

I went to the door and asked if there had been more problems from the flooding, and the teacher just looked at me and said, “Today was the last day of school.”

Oh!  Nice to know.  Congrats Keira!

I had never been informed, but that didn’t keep us from celebrating.  Milkshakes here we come.

-->

No comments: