Tuesday, December 17, 2019

A Universal Experience leads to Issues

Well, this post and my last one seem appropriate for this time of year - 

talking about food and then how to lose the weight you gain.  Ugh!

Doug runs early in the morning when no one is out, and Kylie went to the gym to strengthen her leg, but usually we all work out at the house.  

When a new gym opened close to us and they had a "couple's discount" for February, Doug and I decided to do it.

It's pretty fancy.


The first day I went, the windows were open and clear when I was on the treadmill.

The next day, the windows were frosted at the bottom to hide the ladies from the street view.

One week later, they put in shades that are pulled down most of the way most of the time, but I don't have those pictures handy.


The treadmill view



I tried the bikes, but it was even worse because you couldn't even stare at buildings.




So I started bringing something on my phone to stare at while I walked so I wouldn't have to stare at the shades.

There are so many interesting things that happen at the gym.  Some are just fun cultural differences, and some are amusing because there have never been athletics or sports in school for kids here.  Girls, especially, are not taught how to run, exercise, lift weights, or take care of themselves.  So even though there is a trainer in the room, many women are trying to figure things out on their own, and even though I'm proud of every single one of them for being up there and trying, some things still bring a smile to my face.

The men have a gym on the other side of the wall.  I hear stories from Doug about things they have, and I think they've got some better amenities :)



I know they have a bigger pool, although I'm not complaining about the ladies' pool.  It's nice!

Even though many ladies like to get in the pool, very few know how to swim, so they do exercises in the shallow end, and the entire deep end is left empty for me to swim laps if I want.


March 18, 2019

My exercise schedule is sporadic at best.  I try to go three or four times a week after I drop Keira off at school and before language class starts, but let's be honest, it's really easy to find an excuse NOT to go.

*It's cold.
*I'm tired.
*I have work to do at home.
*I'll do it tomorrow.
*I didn't eat that much yesterday.

Oh, well.  Here's to another year of getting in better shape and a quick prayer that the gym offers another special in February so we can afford to renew our membership :)

No comments: