Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Date Cookie

I think one of the favorite desserts around here is a special cookie made with mashed dates rolled inside.

An American friend of mine was learning how to make them from her neighbor, and she invited me to come.  I was a little late because I had language class, but I got in on most of it.

My friend mashed the dates flat on the plastic with oil on her fingers so that they wouldn't stick to her.

Her neighbor rolled the dough out on a tri-legged wooden table.  

Most ladies use this small table for either rolling dough or cutting veggies or meat since most of ladies cook on the floor.  It's quite handy.



After rolling the dates in the dough, she would cut little slits in the top for the classic look that you can see in the pan above.


When the pan was full (and this was just pan one of two and a half), the neighbor brushed them with raw egg before we baked them.

Making them was quite time-consuming, and I will certainly appreciate them more when I am offered them next time.


We ran out of dates before the dough ran out, so on our third batch, we made half a pan of just "cookies."


To be honest, these were never my favorite thing to eat when I visited homes, but after making them, I'm endeared to them a little more.























































I kind of look forward to the next time I get to try them, and guess what?

Newroz is right around the corner.  Remember that?

No comments: