Saturday, April 8, 2017

A Whole New World

I know I've written about the kids' school before here and here, an awards ceremony here, and a science fair here, but as the year goes on, I get more and more insight into the school.

For example, when a teacher is absent...nothing.

Do you think this is what it looks like?


Seriously, the kids have an entire free period un-monitored (except for the cameras in the classroom).  The kids have told me that sometimes if another teacher has a free period, that teacher will come in to sit, but what happens the next period and the next when no teacher is available?


When I taught school, faculty meetings with the principal were held after school, and if a parent wanted to meet with me, it had to be during my off-period.  At this particular school, if the principal wants to meet with her high school teachers, she calls them all out during a period during the day, leaving all 9th through 12th graders with no supervision.  Sounds marvelous, right?

If a parent wants to come and talk to a teacher, the principal will call the teacher to the office even if they are teaching.

But, to be honest, teachers are not respected in this culture.  The kids treat them terribly.  No one listens.  They talk while they teacher is talking.  They sleep.  There is never a moment of silence.  And no one studies or does homework.  Over half of one of my kids' classes is failing and they don't seem to know why???  I never saw it this bad in the States, but it may be present there and I don't know it. 

 I have heard that classrooms are different these days.

When my children attended school in the States, saying "No" to drugs was an important theme.  My then second grader came home with a poem that said:

If you're asked 
to try some pot,
just say, "NO,
I'd rather not."

If you're asked
to drink some wine
say, "No thanks,
I'm feeling fine."

If someone asks
you to smoke,
say, "I don't want
to cough and choke."

With other drugs,
like cocaine and crack
say, "I'd rather have 
a healthy snack."

When you say, "NO,"
you will agree
how great it feels
to be drug free.

He asked me what pot, crack and cocaine were.  I guess you have to get educated sometime.

The funny thing is that here, we have seen students from their school out smoking hooka/shisha, and at the school teachers and students all smoke together between classes.
Flavored tobacco smoked in a hookah, usually mixed with molasses or honey and often fruit pulp or dried fruits.


It's a Whole New World.

No comments: