Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bush Camp: Set Up & Another Injury

We got to bush camp around 2:30pm and had until 4 to set up camp. We had sheets, blankets, towels, and washcloths on our beds. Our tent was swept clean and everything was so well put together. We get two tents for our family, two lanterns, and two basins. We were set!

A view inside the kids' side.









Way, way back there in the middle of the picture is where we walk to take showers.

Here's a close-up of the female showers.








This is the choo (pronounced "cho")/latrine/squatty potty that was closest to our tent. I'm kicking myself for not getting a picture of the inside.

The constant use of the choo is really the only thing to get used to, and I will probably reach my breaking point before it's all over. It's because I not only go every time for me, but since there is a fine art to it, I have to take all three when they need to go, too.

Our amazing kitchen staff made some wonderful meals in this tent.

After dinner our first night, I was washing dishes in the kitchen tent when I heard Karis start crying. Then I heard Shannon (Olivia and Logan's mom) say, "We need a nurse."

When I finally got to her, they were trying to wash the dirt out of her mouth. All I could see was ripped skin on the top lip. I took her back to the tent to wait for an antibiotic that Renee was looking for and Shannon said she wanted to look one more time and see if her mouth was okay. She is a dentist. When she pulled down the bottom lip, I saw the hole.

It was still an hour later after kids were asleep, and we were out with some adults when I heard Doug describe what had happened. She had tripped on a root and landed face first, but the real hurt came when he had to pull her lip up and off her bottom right incisor.

He said in all his days of playing basketball, and even seeing guys with braces get hit, he had never seen anything like that. Poor girl pretty quickly passed out and thankfully, the other two weren't far behind.

Zambia is definitely leaving its mark on us.

As you can imagine, she didn't want to smile for a day or two.

But soon, God healed her right up!

No comments: