Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Hard Soil of Their Hearts

-->
March 1, 2012

There was singing again today at the prison with no joy, no drums, and no dancing.

We covered three stories today in the books I am using:  Jesus calming the storm (Mark 4:35-41, The Four Soils (Mark 4:2-20), and Nicodemus coming to Jesus at night (John 3: 1-21).

When I asked if any of them had ever been in a storm in life, they all said, “No,” because they were thinking of being in a boat in the water.  When Florence explained it wasn't just boat storms, we talked about how their storms could be prison, sick kids, not having enough food to feed their family, etc.  They all nodded.

They really listened when I said that Jesus could give them peace in the storm, just like He did for the disciples.  I told them that everyone has storms.  If they got out of prison thinking their storms were over, they still wouldn’t have peace, because Jesus said, “In this world, you will have trouble, but do not fear, I have overcome the world.”

When we spoke about the four soils, they said their hearts were either the hard road, where Satan came and snatched away the Word or they were the soil with thorns and the worries of the world were choking the Word out.

Over and over, as they raised their hands to talk about what kind of soil they were, I repeatedly heard, “I’m always doing bad.  I can’t ever do good.”


Well, let me tell you about the thief on the cross... 

These ladies think they have to be “good” before they can come to Christ, and I reminded them that the thief just confessed his belief that Jesus was the Christ while hanging on the cross, and Jesus said, “Today, you will be with me in Paradise.”  There was no baptism, no confirmation, only complete trust in Jesus.

I am so thankful that Jesus takes us just as we are...no clean-up necessary!

Today was the first day I believe the ladies, when hearing how to become a believer in Christ, really chewed on it and sat with serious thought.  

Be praying for them.

No comments: