Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Things I See (Vol 6)

Welcome to "Things I See."  If you want to see the previous installments, you can click on Volume 1 , Volume 2, Volume 3, Volume 4, Volume 5

Where I come from (which is a country town in Texas), this is pretty normal (and even here), but maybe this will be interesting to some of you...Goat in a truck.

Doug organized a conference at a hotel for a group of people coming in for training (many of whom he had never met before and who didn't know him).

Instead of the hotel putting "Conference" on the sign, well... it just didn't happen.
 Notice the small lights that go on and off to make sure you know they are imitating a flashlight.




If you go to the grocery store with other bags in your hand from the mall, this "security" person will lay your bags in this contraption and melt the sides together for "secwerity."

Any Bon Qui Qui fans out there?
Again, this is not a strange sight in my small Texas town, but for some of you...who knows?
It's hard to see, but it's a man crossing four lanes of traffic in a slow-powered wheelchair.

There are several rules that must be followed to stay in good standing in the religion that is followed here.  One of the rules for women is that fingernail polish cannot be worn either when praying or on holy days (I haven't gotten a clear answer on which of these is true).

However, a "proper" nail polish was invented that allows their nails to "breathe," and this kind IS okay to wear if you are performing religious acts.
I thought this was interesting (or maybe my eyes were just playing a trick on me), but this word, which should be read from right to left in the local script (and loosely translates as "oh my goodness" or "oh my"), reads to me like "Alleluia" from left to right.  Can you see it?  Or is it just me?
My eyes DID play a trick on me for this one.  Last summer at a conference in Germany, I walked into a bathroom to see this.  

I'm always used to seeing foreign and unfamiliar words, so for the longest time, I tried to figure out what "deos" was.  

I know!  I know!  It seems very clear now, but on that day...

It took me two trips into the bathroom at different times to realize what I was really reading.

Let's agree to say that I was sleep deprived.

No comments: