Thursday, March 8, 2018

Things I see (Vol 4)

Welcome to "Things I See."  If you want to see the previous installments, you can click here:

This first picture is what a funeral generally looks like.  

One or two large squares of black cloth will be painted with information about the deceased and hung up in the neighborhood.  

Generally, the women are the ones who sit in the tents, and many times, there are no chairs.  Family of the deceased brings out water and food at different times of the day for all the visitors who come to sit and pray.

Men, generally go to the mosque.

I've only ever walked into a tent once with my neighbor, so I only have one experience to draw from. I've also never actually seen a coffin or a burial, so my information for you is limited.

When a tent like this is in your neighborhood, parking and driving become almost impossible.  Many people come, and the tent generally takes up the entire road, so there is no passage way through.  This one was set up near the kids' school on a rather large road, so I was able to pass by on the left.


This person is driving a "CHOEVRLET."


I know real "CHEVROLET's" exist because I've seen them.


For my Texas friends, I thought this was pretty funny.

Here I am all the way across the world, and inside a plexiglass box filled with stuffed animals is a penguin from "Schlitterbahn."


This is a meal we have sometimes with large groups of people.  It's kebab served with grilled tomatoes, sumac-covered onions, hot peppers, and cucumbers.  It's quite tasty rolled up in some tortilla-like bread.  We all like this.

It gets cold around here in the winter.  One morning before school, I found two of my children snuggling up to the gas heater in a most interesting way.


In addition to the chickens, turkeys, and pigeons in the neighborhood (not to mention, my landlord has a bird collection that numbers in the 100's), there are also some neighborly baby ducks as well.

I'm living in the Twilight Poultry Zone.

The government provides flour and oil for its people.  There are distribution "centers" in each neighborhood.  

This one is across the street from me.  A man sits in here with his checklist of people in the neighborhood and they come in and out collecting their flour and oil.

You can sort of make out the bags of flour in the low-lying sunlight.


No comments: