Monday, September 12, 2016

I'm blaming it on the heat

What happened!!?

How has it been since August 4th since I posted!!?

Well, let's blame it on the heat, and move on.  Shall we?

The high temperatures have only gotten up to 100 lately, and it makes SUCH a difference.  The 115-120 degrees were pretty unbearable.  We moved as little as possible, and we only went out in the morning and evening, if we could help it.

As you can imagine, in the over-a-month that I haven't written, I've taken a few pictures and had a few thoughts, so I'll slowly try to recount them for you.

However, I will say that today is probably not the best day for you to hear from me, because I've had an exhausting morning, and I'm not sure I'm thinking clearly.

Today is Eid al-Adha, and just like the last celebration that we had after Ramadan/Ramazan, we went out visiting today in our traditional clothing.  We stayed at one particular house four hours because they graciously invited us to lunch.  After stumbling through the language for four hours, my brain is pretty much toast.

I'll write about our experiences later, but lift up these people today as they remember Abraham’s almost sacrifice of Ishmael from their book.  I read somewhere that over 100 million animals will be slaughtered today and tomorrow.  Cows, sheep, goat, rams, even camels.

Eid Al Adha is one of the holiest celebrations on the Islamic calendar. The holiday known as the Feast of Sacrifice represents the end of Hajj, an annual Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia that lasts three to four days. The Koran recommends all Muslims make the journey at least once in their lifetime.

This is the largest mosque in our city.  People travel here on tour buses all the time to see it.  Doug is going to tour it next week, so I'm excited for him to bring home pictures of the inside.



I think I'll go rest my eyes now.

No comments: