Friday, June 4, 2010

Caleb’s new adventure

Before "our" (read into that - "Doug's") next adventure, I pulled out sandwiches for a quick lunch. It was past 2:30 and my children hadn't complained about being wet or hungry.

I had just watched this baboon crawl inside three vehicles, but it did not compute that I needed to think about her any more than mere entertainment.

Caleb took ONE bite out of his sandwich, and Isabella (the locals have named her) was there in a heartbeat.

She walked over behind Caleb, with only one person seeing her, but not in enough time to say anything. Isabella stood on her back legs, put her right hand on his left shoulder and reached around with her left and grabbed the sandwich and ziplock bag. Caleb thought someone was playing with him and he struggled back, not knowing with whom he was struggling, but after one good tug, she won, leaving him a small pinch of sandwich in his fingers.

Defeated…by a girl.

Without hesitation, he walked over in front of where she sat to consume it and shook his finger at her one good time.

Me? I wasn't so concerned about losing the sandwich. I had others.

But you better believe when she finished and walked away, I walked over and got my ziplock bag!

And wouldn't you know? She had poked a hole in it.

Defeated…by a baboon.

I just wish I had a video of Caleb giving her the "what for."




5 comments:

Darenda said...

Love reading about what's going on in your lives & love the pictures too. So glad to know you are all healthy.
Love,
Darenda

Rachel Walden said...

Love the stories! Your kids are so blessed to have such a wonderful experience. I laughed about the ziploc bag, too, that is so you to try to go get your back back ha ha!

RCW said...

Ha ha! We love this story!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathryn,

My parents are Jim and Mary B. I wish we could have met on one of my trips to BTR.

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures. Your story about the sandwich makes me think I should be grateful for being able to buy sandwich bags whenever I need them. :)

Laura said...

That's such a great story! One to tell the grandkids one day, I'm sure. I love the Caleb didn't seem to be scared, but instead wanted to shame the monkey for her wrong-doings!