Monday, May 4, 2020

Things I See (Vol 14)

Welcome to "Things I See."  If you want to see the previous installments, you can click on:

Menus make me smile.  

I can usually find something humorous on every one, but I forget to take pictures of all of them.

I still don't know why places of business here don't employ a native English speaker to check over their copy before taking it to the print shop.

This is a Shisha menu.  It's also known as Narghile, Hookah, Water Pipe, etc.

It is a real money-maker for restaurants here.
In most places alcohol is taboo, but for some reason, smoking shisha is considered "ok" (by some).


One time Doug saw "Boobie Gum" on a menu (for bubble gum), so we always like to take a look and see what flavors they have.  I can't imagine what Desert Mexico or Woman Secret taste like???




I'm pretty sure they don't mean Blue Bell when they say "Texas Ice Cream" either.

I'm guessing this was supposed to be "mustard," but I'm really not sure what "budget bread" was supposed to be.





All fried chicken here is called "Kentucky."  

It's called Kentucky in school cafeterias, homes, and all restaurants (product placement at its best).

Here, they just spelled it their own way.


This is what someone longing for a beach vacation wishes for.


Self-explanatory


Recently, a grocery store in town got a very large shipment of American products.  I don't know how or why, but we were so excited to go look, and then we saw the prices...

I did break down and buy a few Dr. Peppers for $1 a piece, but the mark-up on the rest of the products was crazy!!

This bag of Quinoa costs about $26, and as much as I love grits, $80 for some crushed corn is not going to happen in this house (cheese maybe (right Natalie), but not grits :).

Every time I go to the store, I look to see if the price has dropped, and it hasn't, and the bag is STILL there.

This is not a mirage.

You are seeing this correctly

In February, I was parked next to this creation at a gas station.

The people here love to buy and wear gold, but this... 






























The building behind us was sure that our drains were stopped up, and that is why their water wasn't working. In fact, they told me that water was draining out of their ELECTRIC PLUGS!

I don't understand it, but they came to the house four different times to look in bathrooms, the hot water heater room, 5 or 6 drains, etc.

On the last day that I saw them, they brought some workers to clean an outside area that is closed off. We never use it, and haven't opened the door since we moved in. They were "sure" this was the issue, and maybe it was since they haven't be back.

It was gross.  Four dead pigeons and a LOT of pigeon poop.  They watered it down, shoveled it out, and all I did was provide the trash bags...SEVEN of the them.  THAT is a LOT of POOP!


I don't know what we did to receive this sort of blessing, but it was nice; however, I still don't want to open that door, because who knows what it looks like now. This was on January 20th.


For a school photography project, Kylie asked a bread shop if she could come in and take pictures of the process, and they were so inviting.   

She got some great pictures.




































Her photography teacher required them turn in all their assignments in black and white.  The black sesame seeds provide such a great contrast in these pictures.

We used to go to the orthodontist about once a month, and we had a fun time calculating that EVERY SINGLE TIME we went for an appointment, some couple was at the fountains taking wedding pictures.

It's hard to find pretty places in the city for pictures, so they all gravitate toward the few they find attractive.




No comments: